Full-time, Unionized (37.5hrs/week)
CUPE Local 1936
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous peoples across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
About QMUNITY: QMUNITY is BC’s 2SLBGTQIA+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality. We operate with 15 staff, and a large pool of volunteers.
Purpose: Reporting to the Manager of Education & Engagement, the Communications Coordinator provides active support in the execution of QMUNITY’s annual communications activities for all programs & services across the organization. This role ensures consistency across digital and offline media as it relates to QMUNITY’s branding, messaging, and communications. This role nurtures strong relationships between the organization and external stakeholders across a variety of target audiences.
Social media & Content Creation (40%):
- Develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy to increase visibility of QMUNITY’s programs & services, and amplify awareness & education around 2SLGBTQIA+ issues to a diverse audience.
- Manage and maintain our organization’s social media accounts across various platforms, including Meta, LinkedIn, TikTok, and others; create and curate engaging and relevant content, including graphics, videos, articles, and blog posts, to attract and retain followers.
- Monitor and respond to comments, messages, and inquiries on social media platforms in a timely and professional manner.
- Utilize social media analytics tools to track performance, analyze data, and optimize strategies to inform activities; deliver a monthly social media report.
- Produce high-quality written content, including blog posts, press releases, newsletters, and updates for the website and across digital platforms.
- Collaborate with team members to gather content, including articles, interviews, success stories, and upcoming events for websites, newsletter, and social media.
- Ensure all content aligns with our brand voice, values, and messaging guidelines.
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar to schedule and organize content publication across various platforms.
- Design and create visually appealing graphics and images for social media posts, blog articles, and other communication materials.
Marketing & Communications (40%):
- Develop & coordinate print and digital communication materials in collaboration with staff and community members for the promotion of events, programs, projects, sponsorship recognition, and community engagement.
- Coordinate with external vendors to acquire production quotes, ensuring delivery of assets, materials, and any externally contracted design work.
- Plan, design, and execute monthly e-newsletters to keep our audience informed about organizational updates, events, campaigns, and relevant news; Manage the distribution list and ensure accurate segmentation for targeted communications.
- Monitor and analyze engagement metrics of the e-newsletters and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure QMUNITY’s website is up-to-date, and that all materials are kept relevant; oversee that the website remains functionally optimized for users
- Coordinate the development of branding guidelines; ensuring consistent use of QMUNITY’s logo and branding both internally and externally
- Design and execute online advertising campaigns to promote events, fundraisers, and awareness campaigns.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest digital marketing trends and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
Stakeholder Engagement (20%):
- Engage with our community members, donors, volunteers, and partner organizations through social media, e-newsletters, and other communication channels.
- Collaborate with internal teams to gather stories, testimonials, and impact data to highlight the work of the organization.
- Coordinate and execute tabling activations, by organizing and packing promotional materials, attending community outreach events, and ensuring the proper storage and tracking of QMUNITY materials going in/out
- Provide promotional and communications support for events, workshops, and community outreach programs at QMUNITY.
- Minimum 3-5 years in social media, marketing, or communications
- Strong social media and communication skills and experience
- Graphic Design and/or art experience preferred
- Problem-solving, decision making skills and conflict resolution skills
- Experience working in a not-for-profit and/or community organization an asset
- Strong knowledge of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities and issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of QMUNITY
- Ability to use sound judgment and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Criminal records check
- First Aid, CPR and ASIST certification is an asset
- The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
- Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the programs and services for our communities
Hours of work:
This is a permanent full-time unionized position (37.5 hours/week). The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm. Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the work week is common practice. Overtime policies allow for staff to opt for overtime pay, or time-off in lieu.
Compensation for this position is $29.74 per hour as well as registration into the Multi Sector Pension Plan. Note that this agreement is under review. Comprehensive benefits package (extended health and dental insurance), as well as supplemental $500/year health & wellness credit provided by QMUNITY after a three month probation period.
Diversity & Values:
QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and non-binary folk, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities. In recognition of structural and systemic barriers to education and employment, we will work with applicants where possible to address gaps in education and/or experience; professional development funding is available on an annual basis. QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid.
QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Coordinator, Communications– YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.