Director of the Board
The Organization: QMUNITY is a leading provincial resource centre offering community services and programs that celebrate, support and enhance the diverse cultures of queer communities. We offer our resources in a welcoming, accessible, and safe space that is relevant to the ommunities we serve. Our services and programs support healthy and active living, provide leadership, increase awareness, advocate where
needed, and promote arts and culture.
QMUNITY is committed to having diverse representation on the board of directors to ensure that we represent the peoples we serve. Priority on board placements will be given to folks from backgrounds who are not currently represented on the board.
Purpose: The Board of Directors (the “Board”) is responsible for overseeing the governance of the organization and acting as mbassadors for QMUNITY in the broader community. As a volunteer Director of the Board, you provide oversight of QMUNITY’s programs and finances, foresight in setting strategy and direction, and insight on how best the organization can serve our diverse community. You are ready to give your superpowers to drive work of the organization as well as mentor other board members and staff. You are ready to serve a two year appointment.
- Actively participate in monthly board meetings (typically 2.5 hours) – you listen, learn and share perspective.
- Prepare for each meeting by reviewing monthly reports, financials, minutes and any other provided pre-reading.
- Build familiarity with QMUNITY’S programs and services and understand how these programs drive our mission.
- Be an ambassador for QMUNITY and promote our programs and services.
- Join at least two committees (at least one of which is a standing committee) and contribute to the work being done on them. Committees typically meet for an hour every two months, with the expectation that some work is completed outside of this time.
- Bring your curiosity to our ongoing learning and queer competency about our diverse communities, and in ongoing exposure to new and emerging issues and concerns.
- Attend QMUNITY fundraising functions.
- Attend annual board retreat.
- Actively participate in the strategic planning process.
Desired skills, abilities and backgrounds:
- You bring knowledge, wisdom and culture from within our diverse community.
- You have a superpower that you are willing to share with the organization. Often we see these in human resources, law, communications, finance, fundraising, community development, labour relations and governance. Open to other specializations that can benefit the organization.
- Experience on a not-for-profit board an asset.
- Experience facilitating or leading groups an asset.
- Confident collaborator – you are someone who looks for win-win solutions.
- Knowledge of LGBTQ issues and a desire to be an advocate for our community.