Facilitator, Education & Training Program Job Description
Job title: Facilitator, Education & Training Program
Full-time, 10-month term; 37.5 hrs/week
Opportunity for contract extension/renewal
Purpose: This dual-purpose role has two primary functions: (1) Administer and coordinate the Pridespeaks program, including recruitment, onboarding and training of youth facilitators, facilitator scheduling including social and professional development sessions, e-mail correspondence, outreach, classroom bookings, invoicing and follow-up; and (2) Lead facilitator for approximately 50+ workshops scheduled throughout the year at work sites, health centres and service providers. Administrative requirements include email and phone correspondence, scheduling, outreach, on-going curriculum development and refinement in collaboration with the Specialist, Education & Training.
Accountability: The Facilitator, Education & Training Program reports directly to the Director, Engagement & Operations. QMUNITY is a unionized workplace and staff are represented by CUPE 1916. This position is within the bargaining unit.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s LGBTQ2SAI+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality. We operate with 12 staff, and a large pool of volunteers.
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and non-binary folk, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their breadth and depth of skills gained through these, and other, areas of community work.
In recognition of structural and systemic barriers to education and employment, we will work with applicants where possible to address gaps in education and/or experience; professional development funding is available on an annual basis.
Education & Training Program: QMUNITY’s Education & Training program consists of the timely and relevant delivery of queer competency and Pridespeaks presentations, workshops and trainings (QCTs) to health care professionals, service providers, educators and classrooms, and for-profit businesses to better understand where their services and LGBTQ2SAI+ clients, staff, students and volunteers intersect; LGBTQ2SAI+ consultation services; the publication of educational print materials; and on-going thought development to help shape the cultural conversations of LGBTQ2SAI+ inclusion in media, politics, business, art and beyond.
- Pridespeaks Administration (35%)
- Curriculum research and design of culturally relevant and meaningful workshops to be facilitated “by youth, for youth”
- Recruit and on-board youth facilitators at least twice annually (January and September intakes)
- Develop, coordinate and promote Pridespeaks workshops, including all administrative requirements: Outreach and bookings; Facilitator scheduling; Invoicing and follow-up; E-mail correspondence; Monthly reporting on data and statistics
- Perform health checks on Pridespeaks workshops, including feedback for volunteer facilitators
- Schedule and coordinate Pridespeaks facilitators trainings (bi-annual), meetings and socials (monthly)
- Adult Education/Training Facilitation (35%)
- Facilitate workshops and trainings on queer and trans competency, as scheduled independently, and in collaboration with the Specialist, Education & Training and Director, Engagement & Operations
- Coordinate all logistical aspects of facilitating workshops, including travel, volunteer scheduling, evaluations, invoice requests, monthly reporting and associated expense forms
- Provide feedback on workshop content as needed, based on workshop delivery, participant questions and feedback.
- As capacity allows, refine and update QCT workshop modules and content
- Conference & Event Planning Support (20%)
- Participation in planning committee meetings to design and implement timely public education related events, including public events, training conferences and webinars and panels
- Administrative support in event planning logistics
- Team Engagement & Support (10%)
- Participation in staff and team meetings, retreats and planning sessions
- Manage, train, supervise and schedule volunteers and interns within portfolio
- Actively promote and participate in fundraising activities and income generating activities
- Perform other duties, as required.
Education and Experience:
- Combination of post-secondary diploma or degree and experience in group facilitation, education and teaching
- Strong knowledge of LGBTQ2SAI+ communities and issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of QMUNITY
- Demonstrable experience in designing and facilitating training sessions, training methodologies and curriculum development
- Demonstrated ability to work in team as well as working independently
- Able to organize, multi-task, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Organised, results-oriented self-starter, able to work under pressure and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms
- Firm understanding of pedagogical approaches that support QMUNITY’s capacity and community building mandate; these include but are not limited to anti-oppressive, feminist and decolonizing frameworks, experiential education, dialogic engagement and appreciative inquiry
- An entrepreneurial drive to support development and increase partnership potential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Criminal records check
- Valid BC Driver’s License is strongly preferred
- To follow all policies and procedures of the organization
- The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
- Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the program
Salary: $27.09/hour. Comprehensive benefits package includes extended health and dental insurance, a supplemental $300/year health & wellness credit provided by QMUNITY, and a generous paid leave/vacation/sick policy. QMUNITY is reviewing and researching new policies to propose a pension plan in 2021 and increase professional development funding available to staff on an annual basis.
Hours of Work: This position is full-time, 37/5 hours/week. Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the work week is common practice. Overtime policies allow for staff to opt for overtime pay, or time-off in lieu.
Accessibility: QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office. This position will frequently visit other workplaces and offices with varied accessibility features.
COVID-19: QMUNITY has developed COVID-19 Safety Plans. Our offices are closed to the public; staff can work from the office, though most are choosing to work from home. Service delivery is primarily conducted virtually, through email, phone, Zoom, Slack, etc. Our Occupational Health & Safety Committee continues to monitor on-going developments and makes recommendations based on public health guidance.
Start date: June 2021
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Facilitator – Education & Training Program – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is Sunday, May 23rd at 11:59 PM.