Friendly Visitors Program (Seniors & Older Adults)
(Covid-19 Update: Friendly Phone Calls)
Start date: Summer 2020 (flexible start dates)
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Accessibility: Please note QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office, without access to elevator, lift or ramp.
QMUNITY’s Friendly Visitor Program aims to build connection and decrease isolation among 2SLGBTQIA+ Older Adults and Seniors. Persons 65+ who would like a friendly interaction with another member of the community can contact the program to be paired with a volunteer. We hope to have volunteers in varying age categories to increase peer support during Covid-19 while also providing a chance for intergenerational exchanges.
Note: Due to Covid-19, this program is currently operating via phone calls only. In-person visits will be considered in the future, contingent on ecommendations from health authorities. All volunteers will be notified of any changes and given the option between phone or in-person visits if there is a shift in the program.
- Committing to a minimum one hour phone conversation with a Q Senior, once a week.
- Providing, genuine, thoughtful, caring and supportive conversation.
- Communicating with the supervising staff member to provide and receive feedback and report concerns that may arise.
- Optionally: Seniors outreach, contacting members of the community to ask if they would like to participate in the program.
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must:
- Attend training specific to the Older Adults and Seniors Program.
- Be comfortable asking questions when the answers are not known (we can help).
- Have access to a phone and be willing to use their own phone to have conversations.
- Be 19 years of age or over.
- Have a strong knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks and inclusive language.
- Experience working or volunteering within 2SLGBTQIA+ communities.
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our Older Adults and Seniors. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Priority will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
Support will be provided on an ongoing basis through regular check-ins with the Volunteer Coordinator or another supervising staff member.
How to apply:
Please complete the form on the QMUNITY Volunteer page: qmunity.ca/apply-to-volunteer/