Indigenous Outreach Coordinator Job Description
Reports to: Co-Executive Director of Programs and Services and Community Advisory Committee
Position Unionized CUPE 1936- Full Time
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s 2SLGBTQIA+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and gender-variant persons, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
Purpose: The Indigenous Outreach Coordinator’s role is to connect Indigenous and Two-Spirit community members to new and existing services at QMUNITY. This role strengthens community partnerships and helps to create culturally safe practices and services specific to Indigenous and Two-spirit communities. Strong preference is given to candidates who identify as having Indigenous heritage.
- Develop, coordinate, promote activities for Indigenous and Two-Spirit community members related to services at QMUNITY
- Advise and support QMUNITY’s Education Program around anti-colonial frameworks
- Create, maintain, and strengthen a safe and supportive environment for Indigiqueer and Two-Spirit people to express their gender and sexuality;
- Foster physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health of Indiqueer and Two-Spirit community members in connecting to existing and new support groups, counselling, drop-in services, and community events
- Develop and sustain relationships with other community organizations
- Create and help implement QMUNITY’s strategic plan as it relates to Indigenous community engagement
- Support research and grant writing
- Work in collaboration with staff, volunteers and leadership
- Present community engagement and program deliverables to different stakeholders
- Report to the Community Advisory Committee
- Prepare and submit reports as required
- Maintain accurate and relevant records for support program activities
- Perform duties as required
Education and Experience:
- Experience working with Indigenous and Two-Spirit peoples and/or Indigenous communities
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous communities
- Strong knowledge of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities and issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of QMUNITY
- Demonstrable experience in monitoring, evaluating and reporting on community development programs and strategic planning
- Demonstrable experience stewarding relationships with organizations and funders
- Ability to work in teams
- Queer Competency in relation to Indigenous communities
- Strong communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong Indigenous Cultural Competency and community involvement
- Strong Advocacy skills
- Experience, knowledge and cultural understanding from working with Indigenous peoples or within Indigenous communities
- Able to organize, multi-task, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms
- Excellent communication skills, strong emphasis on written and oral presentation taking community knowledge into consideration
- To follow all policies and procedures of the organization
- The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
- Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the program
Salary: $25.69/hour + Comprehensive benefits after three months
Hours of Work: This position is full-time (37.5hrs/week). Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the workweek is common practice. Overtime policies allow for staff to opt for overtime pay or time-off in lieu.
Accessibility: QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office.
COVID-19: QMUNITY has developed COVID-19 Safety Plans. Service delivery is primarily conducted virtually, through email, phone, Zoom, Slack, etc. Our Occupational Health & Safety Committee continues to monitor ongoing developments and makes recommendations based on public health guidance.
Start date: TBD
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format and or another way of highlighting your interest to [email protected]. Please indicate in the subject line. Deadline closes January 31, 2022.