Information and Referral Services Volunteer Role Description
Information and Referral Services (The Q Desk) Volunteer
Estimated start date: July 2021 (4h/week)
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Accessibility: Please note QMUNITY’s main office space is reopening on July 5th, 2021. This role is for in-person volunteering at the office one day per week (Monday to Friday), 10am-2pm. By September, we hope the Q Desk will be open Monday to Friday, 10-6. We will need 12 volunteers total for this role at that point. Safety measures according to health orders will be in place.
The Q Desk / Information Referral Services is the first point of contact for people accessing QMUNITY. The Q Desk is staffed by a team of volunteers, who assist folks in finding and accessing queer-competent care or support, while providing friendly peer support themselves. Volunteers have a variety of lived experience and are able to help clients navigate healthcare, employment, education and community services. They refer folks within QMUNITY, and to other services with the guidance of the Q Directory, a living directory of many local and provincial services and provisions.
- Greeting in-person visitors and directing them to safety measures: hand sanitizer, a sign-in sheet, where the waiting area is (if there is more than two people present), etc.
- Keeping staff up to date with visitors
- Log into Q’s email, assessing inbox and prioritize
- Respond to email inquiries
- Updating the Q Directory: adding new entries if applicable, deleting old information
- Receiving and responding to communications from the Volunteer Coordinator and other staff about internal updates
- Staying up-to-date regarding internal communications
- Maintaining the Calendar of Events in the entryway
- Maintaining open communication with the rest of the Q Desk Volunteer Cohort, and the Volunteer Coordinator (Using Slack, and otherwise)
- Miscellaneous office tasks as per need
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must:
- Be 19 years of age or over
- Have a strong knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks and inclusive language
- Experience working or volunteering within 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
- A working knowledge of the landscape of queer-competent services in and around Vancouver, and a willingness to continue to learn on this front
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our community members, clients and youth. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Preference will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
Support will be provided on an ongoing basis through regular check-ins with the Volunteer Coordinator.
How to apply: Please complete this form to express your interest.