Intergenerational Friendly Visitor Volunteer Role Description
Intergenerational Friendly Visitor
(Friendly Phone Calls)
Start date: June 2021
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Accessibility: Please note QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office, without access to elevator, lift or ramp.
QMUNITY’s Friendly Visitor Program aims to build connections and decrease isolation among LGBTQ2SIA+ Older Adults and Seniors. Persons 55+ who would like a friendly interaction with another member of the community can contact the program to be paired with a volunteer. Intergenerational Friendly Visitors provide a connection to folks for whom the ramifications of the pandemic have made it difficult to connect with folks of different age groups. They offer an important connection to QMUNITY and the broader LGBTQ2SIA+ community.
Note: Due to Covid-19, this program is currently operating via phone calls only. In-person visits will be considered in QMUNITY’s reopening plan, contingent on recommendations from health authorities. All volunteers will be notified of any changes and given the option between phone or in-person visits if there is a shift in the program.
- Committing to a minimum one hour phone conversation with a Q Senior, once a week
- Providing, genuine, thoughtful, caring and supportive conversation
- Communicating with the supervising staff member to provide and receive feedback and report concerns that may arise
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must:
- Attend training specific to the Older Adults and Seniors Program
- Be comfortable asking questions when the answers are not known (we can help)
- Have access to a phone and be willing to use their own phone to have conversations
- Be 19 years of age or over
- Have a strong knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks and inclusive language
- Experience working or volunteering within LGBTQ2SIA+ communities
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our Older Adults and Seniors. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Intergenerational peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the LGBTQ2SIA+ community. Priority will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
- Chance to learn from a community elder.
Support will be provided on an ongoing basis through regular check-ins with the Volunteer Coordinator, Seniors Specialist, or another supervising staff member.
How to apply: Please apply for the position by completing this form.