Job Posting – Specialist, Seniors Programming
Specialist, Seniors Programming
Reports To: Manager, Programs & Community Development
Position: Unionized CUPE 3495- Full-Time
Salary: As Per Collective Agreement
Position Start Date: To Be Determined
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s LGBTQ2S+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality.
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and gender variant persons, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
Purpose: The Specialist, Seniors Programming, serves to support healthy living for aging and older LGBTQ2S individuals and to increase social capital in queer, trans and Two-Spirit communities through community development, education, and advocacy for queer/trans/Two-Spirit individuals and groups.
- Develops, coordinates, promotes and facilitates programs, workshops and special events for LGBTQ2S seniors and older adults
- Develops resource materials for the LGBTQ2S community, seniors’ service providers and broader community
- Actively assists in the ongoing development and review of program components
- Recruits for advisory groups and continuously engage seniors in discussions, planning and operations
- Explores and develops community partnerships
- Attends workshops, trainings and conferences as required
- Provides one-on-one support for LGBTQ2S seniors and make appropriate referrals
- Provides advocacy for LGBTQ2S seniors in accessing appropriate services and support at other organizations and institutions as required
- Builds and maintains a network of positive working relationships with other service providers to ensure effective referrals
- Maintains an outreach strategy for LGBTQ2S seniors through other community-based programs, services and organizations
- Provides advisory services to organizations and institutions on the development of policies and procedures that promote inclusion and belonging of LGBTQ2S seniors
- Collaborates with QMUNITY management and staff on projects and activities that strengthen QMUNITY’s programs and services
- Assists in creating senior participant and volunteer opportunities
- Manages, supervises and schedules volunteers and practicum students
- Prepares and submits reports as required
- Maintains accurate logs and compiles statistical records to support program needs and informs ongoing program development and evaluation
- Promotes and participates in fundraising activities and income generating activities as required
- Performs other related duties as required
Knowledge & Experience:
- A relevant Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience working with aging and older people in a community setting
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working within queer, trans, and Two-Spirit communities
- Ability to speak a language other than English is an asset
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills (bilingual is an asset)
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel)
- Knowledge and connection to relevant community resources
- Demonstrated skills in innovative program development and delivery and community development
- Demonstrated administrative and IT skills
- Demonstrated awareness of issues that affect quality of life of aging and older queer/trans/Two-Spirit people
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team as well as working independently
- Ability to use sound judgment and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Ability to organize, multi-task, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- A criminal record check must be undertaken
- Adheres to all policies and procedures established by the organization
- The ability to take initiative and be a strong team participant
- Experience handling confidential and sensitive information
- First Aid, CPR and ASIST certification is an asset
- Valid BC Driver’s license (preferable)
- Documentation that the applicant is legally approved to work in Canada
The Specialist, Seniors Programming, reports directly to the Manager, Programs & Community Development. Please note that QMUNITY is a unionized workplace and staff are represented by CUPE 3495. This position is within the bargaining unit.
Hours of work:
This is a permanent full-time position (37.5 hours/week). Usual hours of work are Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
QMUNITY’s main office is located on the second floor of the building, with only stair access to the space.
Closing Date for Applications:
Thursday, February 6 2020 at 4:00pm
The preferred method for submitting your cover letter and resume is by email to Timothy Agg, Interim Executive Director, at [email protected] (Microsoft Word of Adobe pdf). Please note your full name and the position title in the subject line of your email (i.e. First and Last Name – Position Title). If you are unable to send your application by email, you may apply by mail/drop-off your application to: QMUNITY – 1170 Bute Street, Vancouver BC V6E 1Z6 to the attention of Timothy Agg.
QMUNITY conducts primary source verification of applicant’s credentials including education, training, work history and licensure.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: January 30 2020