Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
Job title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Co-Executive Director, Programs & Services
Position: Unionized CUPE 1936, full-time and permanent
Purpose: The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment and management of volunteers and the organization of volunteer events and programs. The incumbent provides leadership and support for a volunteer-based organization serving LGBTQ2SAI+ communities. Recruits, screens, trains and coordinates volunteers for various programs and services offered by QMUNITY. Ensures volunteers are appreciated and offered rewarding opportunities for personal and professional development.
Accountability: The Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to the Co-Executive Director, Programs & Services. QMUNITY is a unionized workplace and staff are represented by CUPE 1936. This position is within the bargaining unit.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s LGBTQ2SAI+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality. We operate with 12 staff, and a large pool of volunteers.
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and non-binary folk, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their breadth and depth of skills gained through these, and other, areas of community work.
In recognition of structural and systemic barriers to education and employment, we will work with applicants where possible to address gaps in education and/or experience; professional development funding is available on an annual basis.
1. Volunteer Program Coordination (40%)
- Design, develop and implement a plan for volunteer involvement by assessing organizational and volunteer needs across the organization
- Assesses potential risks for positions and addresses with appropriate level of screening protocol and by identifying training needs
- Lead on volunteer recruitment, screening, interview, intake and orientation/onboarding processes
- Develops and supports program staff with strategies related to recruitment and retention of volunteers across all programs
- Ensure volunteers receive appropriate levels of supervision, support and feedback; act as primary liaison between volunteers and staff
- Coordinates volunteer appreciation initiatives including monthly volunteer recognition and annual volunteer party
- Implements and maintains records of volunteer engagements, including CRCs, evaluation, and exit interview documentation
- Coordinates monthly training opportunities, open to all volunteers
- Drafts and distributes recurring Volunteer Digest newsletters
- Leads volunteer scheduling for Outreach volunteers (Summer Pride Season)
- First point of contact for post-secondary institutions’ practicum student placements
- In collaboration with QMUNITY Fundraiser, steward relationships with Corporate Volunteer roles and opportunities
2. Peer Support Groups (30%)
- Coordinates QMUNITY’s Peer Support Groups program, as primary liaison between Peer Facilitators and QMUNITY
- Provides on-going support and supervision to Group Facilitators, including training opportunities, resource mapping, referrals, debriefing and capacity building
- Chairs Peer Group Advisory Committee
- Responds to community needs and identifies emergent opportunities to establish new and/or shift current peer groups, to meet the needs of LGBTQ2SAI+ communities
3. Information & Referral Services (20%)
- Establishes and manages a team of volunteers to provide information, referral and reception services (“IRS”)
- Coordinates weekly volunteer schedules for IRS Volunteers, managing tasks and communication regarding their availability
4. Team Engagement & Support (10%)
- Participation in staff and team meetings, retreats and planning sessions, including strategic and operational plans
- Manage, train, supervise and schedule volunteers and interns within portfolio
- Actively promote and participate in fundraising activities and income generating activities
- Monthly reporting and other documentation and record keeping as needed
- Perform other duties, as required.
Education and Experience:
- Combination of post-secondary diploma or degree and experience relevant to volunteer management and community engagement
- Strong knowledge of LGBTQ2SAI+ communities and issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of QMUNITY
- Demonstrable experience in leading, mentoring, coaching or supervising volunteers and practicum students
- Firm understanding of pedagogical approaches that support QMUNITY’s capacity and community building mandate; these include but are not limited to anti-oppressive, feminist and decolonizing frameworks, experiential education and developmental evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to work in team as well as working independently
- Strong spirit of collaboration and bridge-building between organizations and peer groups
- Commitment to the principles of volunteerism and the value of community development
- Able to organize, multi-task, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms
- Working knowledge of trends and frameworks within the volunteer sector
- Criminal records check
- Valid BC Driver’s License is preferred, but not mandatory
- To follow all policies and procedures of the organization
- The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
- Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the program
Salary: $27.09/hour. Comprehensive benefits package includes extended health and dental insurance, a supplemental $500/year health & wellness credit provided by QMUNITY, and a generous paid leave/vacation/sick policy. QMUNITY is reviewing and researching new policies to propose a pension plan in 2021 and increase professional development funding available to staff on an annual basis.
Hours of Work: This position is full-time (37.5hrs/week). Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the work week is common practice. Overtime policies allow for staff to opt for overtime pay, or time-off in lieu.
Accessibility: QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office.
COVID-19: QMUNITY has developed COVID-19 Safety Plans. Our offices are closed to the public; staff can work from the office, though most are choosing to work from home. Service delivery is primarily conducted virtually, through email, phone, Zoom, Slack, etc. Our Occupational Health & Safety Committee continues to monitor on-going developments and makes recommendations based on public health guidance.
Start date: May 31, 2021
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Volunteer Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line.