Manager, Development & Communications Job Description
Job title: Manager, Development & Communications
Full-time (40 hrs/week), permanent
Purpose: In 2024, QMUNITY will move into a new, custom-built facility, quadrupling our physical footprint and expanding and enhancing our programs and services. The Manager, Development & Communications contributes to the overall success of the organization by effectively managing communications and fundraising strategies for the organization including a capital campaign in anticipation of QMUNITY’s move into a new building; strategic management and marketing of the QMUNITY brand in order to enhance perceived trust and value. The successful applicant will provide management, supervision and support to a small team of communications and fundraising staff and volunteers.
Accountability: The Manager, Development & Communications reports directly to the Co-Executive Director. Engagement & Operations. QMUNITY is a unionized workplace and staff are represented by CUPE 1916. This management position is exempt from the union.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s LGBTQ2SAI+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality. We operate with 12 staff, and a large pool of volunteers.
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and non-binary folk, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their breadth and depth of skills gained through these, and other, areas of community work.
In recognition of structural and systemic barriers to education and employment, we will work with applicants where possible to address gaps in education and/or experience; professional development funding is available on an annual basis.
- Development, Fundraising & Donor Relations (50%)
- Develop, coordinate and implement annual fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Board of Directors’ Fundraising Subcommittee and fundraising staff and volunteers
- Direct and lead a multi-year capital campaign to generate revenue and increase donor engagement, in anticipation of QMUNITY’s new building (move-in date: Spring 2024)
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Oversee the administration of QMUNITY’s donor mailing list and donor/member database; ensure integrity of record-keeping in accordance to relevant Canadian legislation and law
- Assist in the planning and execution of QMUNITY’s fundraising events
- Lead and manage identification, development and solicitation of corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising portfolio, utilizing donor lifecycles of acquisition, retention and cultivation
- Oversee and support fundraising staff pursuing small and medium gift giving efforts, including third party fundraisers and corporate gift-giving
- Represent QMUNITY at events and speak on behalf of QMUNITY as required
- Foster and steward a culture of philanthropy and gifting within the organization
- Communications & Brand Management (30%)
- Strategic oversight and management of QMUNITY’s public-facing brand, including online and social media presence, messaging, marketing and communications
- Develop, coordinate and implement an annual communications strategy plan to convey QMUNITY’s vision, goals and programs/services
- Collaboratively develop and manage the creation and update of web content, social media, Annual Report and e-newsletters
- Develop and lead opportunities to enhance digital advocacy initiatives in order to increase pool of prospective donors (eg. online petitions)
- Oversee the development of press releases, manage media list and queries for communications and maintain media archives
- Technical experience in graphic design is preferred; the successful applicant will manage the Visual Communications Designer and may be required to provide relief during absences, vacation, etc.
- Management & Human Resources (10%)
- Supervise and manage 2-3 staff (communications and fundraising coordinators) in a unionized environment, including recruitment, hiring, onboarding and on-going performance development
- Manage leave requests, coverage and workflow capacities within department
- Team Engagement & Support (10%)
- Participation in executive management, staff and team meetings, Board meetings, retreats and planning sessions, including strategic and operational plans
- Actively promote and participate in community programming activities as needed
- Perform other duties, as required.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in fundraising and communications roles in a social profit or non-profit organization
- Experience managing in a unionized environment is highly desirable
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in business, marketing, or related field
- Demonstrable experience in gift-giving and fundraising campaigns, including large gift-giving and/or capital campaign initiatives
- Demonstrable experience stewarding relationships with organizations and funders
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) certification is considered an asset
- Membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge of LGBTQ2SAI+ communities and issues; high sense of responsibility and commitment to the mission of QMUNITY
- Firm understanding of fundraising and gift-giving approaches that support QMUNITY’s capacity and community building mandate; these include but are not limited to anti-oppressive, feminist and decolonizing frameworks within fundraising, gift-giving and donor relations
- Creativity and innovation in sourcing and building new funding/donor relations
- Demonstrated ability to work in team as well as working independently
- Strong spirit of collaboration and bridge-building between organizations
- Effective and proven leadership skills within an organization and/or department
- Experience in leveraging digital campaigns to support larger mission/mandate
- Some technical experience in graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Exceptional oral and written skills, including proofreading and copy editing; ability to adapt style according to a variety of audiences
- Able to organize, multi-task, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite platforms
- An entrepreneurial drive to support development and increase partnership potential
- Criminal records check
- To follow all policies and procedures of the organization
- The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
- Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the organization
Salary Range: $67,500 – $72,500/year. Comprehensive benefits package includes extended health and dental insurance, a supplemental $500/year health & wellness credit provided by QMUNITY, and a generous paid leave/vacation/sick policy. QMUNITY is reviewing and researching new policies to propose a pension plan to take effect July 2021 and increase professional development funding available to staff on an annual basis.
Hours of Work: This position is full-time (40 hrs/week). Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the work week is common practice.
Accessibility: QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office.
COVID-19: QMUNITY has developed COVID-19 Safety Plans. Our offices are closed to the public with a soft re-opening scheduled for July 2021. Hybrid work-from-home and office attendance is expected. Our Occupational Health & Safety Committee continues to monitor on-going developments and makes recommendations based on public health guidance.
Start date: ASAP
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume as one document, in either PDF or Word format, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Manager, Dev & Comms – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Deadline to apply extended to Sunday, June 27th at 11:59 PM.