Become a Pridespeaks Facilitator!
January 18, 2019
QMUNITY is actively seeking youth aged 16-24 to become Pridespeaks Facilitators!
QMUNITY’s Pridespeaks Program is a part of our youth services. Pridespeaks provides meaningful volunteer and professional development opportunities for youth to facilitate workshops in schools, classrooms and other youth spaces (eg. after-school programs, clubs, etc.). The Pridespeaks workshops are designed to address LGBTQ2S issues, sexism, gender identity and stereotypes in the classroom and provide tools for allyship and combatting discrimination and bullying in school. Pridespeaks are usually delivered in teams of two in schools across Metro Vancouver and surrounding areas, and provide students aged K – 12 non-judgmental information in an interactive setting.
Pridespeak Facilitator Responsibilities:
- Lead Pridespeak workshops and speaking engagements in elementary, middle and high schools, community centres, shelters, and other spaces youth access.
- Contribute to development of Pridespeak workshops
- Be a role model to workshop participants in using non-violent and non-discriminatory language
- Attend monthly Pridespeak facilitator team meetings
- Attend 2 trainings each year to build skills and understanding about the issues presented within workshops
Core Competencies & Qualifications
- Strong understanding and commitment to intersectional, anti-oppressive peer-to-peer education
- Demonstrated strong facilitation skills, or a desire to learn!
- Demonstrated public speaking skills, or a desire to learn!
- Ability to work with and support co-facilitators