June Volunteer of the Month, Rami!
June 13, 2019
What are your name and pronouns? Ramilyn Sagun, she/her/hers
1. How did you get involved with QMUNITY?
I was able to become involved with QMUNITY through search for a volunteer opportunity at a not-for-profit that would satisfy both my program requirements, and my own learning goals.
2. Tell me a bit about yourself!
I will be graduating from Capilano University in June with an Associate of Arts in Global Stewardship! Currently, I’m playing on a recreational ultimate team for the summer. I’m also fond of plants and flowers.
3. What’s your favourite part of volunteering at QMUNITY?
One of my favourite parts of volunteering with QMUNITY is realizing that you have the ability to create effective change through the interactions you have with people. Each individual has their own story, struggles, and accomplishments. Sometimes, it is the acknowledgement of such experiences that makes all the difference for someone.
4. Tell me a short story of an interaction at QMUNITY that stands out for you.
On one of the days I had volunteered, an individual arrived and stared in awe at the writing on the event board. The writing happened to be mine. They said that they had been coming to QMUNITY for many years, and it was the best writing they had seen hands down. What mattered the most for me was seeing the value that existed in the space, for that one individual and perhaps for many others who make use of what it has to offer in accessible resources and educational capacity. I was able to better perceive how the space functioned as its own vessel for the betterment of the community as a whole.
5. What does your happy place look like? My envisioned happy place looks like a quiet small green space with shelves of books that is open to everyone.
6. What is your favourite food and why? Probably seafood pasta (especially with shellfish)! It can be prepared several ways, and all come out tasting delicious.
7. What items could you not survive without? My sweaters, glasses, books, and Blundstones
8. What’s your favourite way to spend a day in Vancouver? Strolling through the Granville Island market at any point of the year, which also includes fending off seagulls from any food you hold in your hand.
Rami has been an exceptional Volunteer. She has handled her time-management skills at optimum levels and exceeded expectations in the Reception. Thanks to her dedication we have been able to provide constant service to our senior’s programming, along with the Tax Clinic. We do appreciate Rami and we are glad to count with her in our team.