Non-Monogamy Peer Group Facilitator Job Description
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
QMUNITY’s Peer Groups Program supports community members in running peer-led groups that enhance the wellness of the LGBTQ2SAI+ community. Peer Groups are organized by volunteer Facilitators. Facilitators have lived experience with the identity and/or subject matter of the group. They are responsible for creating and maintaining a safe and inclusive (online) space in accordance with QMUNITY guidelines. The Q office is currently closed to the public due to COVID restrictions; all Peer Groups are currently running online over Zoom.
Our Non-Monogamy Peer Group, Queer Love X, is currently looking for
Facilitators to join the team!
The aim of this group is to provide a space for peer support and community building for folks who are 2SLGBTQIA+, and are practicing or who are interested in ethical non-monogamy, polyamory, relationship anarchy, and/or relationships models that challenge the status quo.
Hours: Facilitators are expected to commit to one 60-90-minute meeting per month, and 1-2 hours weekly administrative duties (responding to emails, updating mailing lists, attending Facilitator meetings, etc.)
- Host a welcoming, inclusive space for folx to connect, that aligns with QMUNITY’s Code of Respect and values (celebration, intersectionality & anti-oppression)
- Facilitate discussions and prepare meeting topics and activities
- Provide peer support and mediate conflicts between participants
- Schedule and facilitate online meetings via Zoom while restrictions prevent us from meeting in-person
- Maintain the Peer Group email and communicate with participants (we are on Facebook, but that can change if the facilitators choose)
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Coordinator and QMUNITY Peer Group Facilitators team to evaluate and develop the Groups program (monthly/annual reporting, meetings)
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must have/be:
- 18 years of age or over
- Knowledge of intersectional anti-oppressive frameworks
- Experience with group facilitation, social work or other skill sets related to peer support
- Lived experience within the 2SLGBTQIA+ community served by Queer Love X
- Computer proficiency, especially using Zoom
- Able to commit to 1-3 hours of volunteer work per week (about 10 hrs/month)
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our community members, clients and youth. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Preference will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
The Peer Groups Program is supported by QMUNITY’s Volunteer Coordinator.
How to apply:
Please apply using our online Volunteer Application.