Outreach Caller: Seniors and Older Adults Program Volunteer Role Description
Outreach Caller: Seniors and Older Adults Program
This position is reserved for someone aged 55+
Estimated start date: July, 2021
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Accessibility: Please note QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office, without access to elevator, lift or ramp.
QMUNITY’s Friendly Visitor Program aims to build connections and decrease isolation among LGBTQ2SIA+ Older Adults and Seniors. Persons 55+ who would like a friendly interaction with another member of the community can contact the program to be paired with a volunteer. Intergenerational Friendly Visitors provide a connection to folks who may find it difficult to connect with other members of our community. They offer an important connection to QMUNITY as an organisation and the broader LGBTQ2SIA+ community.
Note: Due to Covid-19, this program is currently operating via phone calls only. In-person visits will be considered in QMUNITY’s reopening plan, contingent on recommendations from health authorities. All volunteers will be notified of any changes and given the option between phone or in-person visits if there is a shift in the program.
- Call other 55+ adults and use a provided script to talk about the friendly visitor program at QMUNITY
- Help to find both program participants and possible peer to peer volunteers for the friendly visitors program
- Occasionally assist the Seniors Specialist with outreach calls to organizations regarding the program
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must:
- Commit to a minimum of 6 hours a week working out of the community office
- Be 55 years of age or over
- Have knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks and inclusive language
- Experience working or volunteering within LGBTQ2SIA+ communities
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our Older Adults and Seniors. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the LGBTQ2SIA+ community. Preference will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Giving back to an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for community engagement, intergenerational connection and an inside look into the seniors and older adults program at QMUNITY
Support will be provided on an ongoing basis through regular check-ins with the Volunteer Coordinator, Seniors Specialist or another supervising staff member.
How to apply: Please apply for the position by completing this form.