Pride & Outreach Coordinator Job Description
Job title: Pride & Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Co-Executive Director, Programs & Services
Position: Full-time and temporary (12 weeks)
Purpose: The Pride & Outreach Coordinator is responsible for coordinating QMUNITY’s participation and staffing at a number of community and Pride events in Metro Vancouver (including virtual attendance and/or representation). The successful candidate will lead a team of volunteers including recruitment, training and orientation, and scheduling for outreach efforts throughout the summer. In addition, the Pride & Outreach Coordinator will assist in the administration and staffing of QMUNITY’s Information & Referrals Desk, our ‘front desk’ and first point of contact for community members seeking to engage and get support from QMUNITY.
Accountability: The Pride & Outreach Coordinator reports directly to the Co-Executive Director, Programs & Services and will receive informal mentorship from the Volunteer Coordinator. While QMUNITY is a unionized workplace, this position is not a part of the union.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s LGBTQ2SAI+ community hub and exists to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives. We do this in three ways: by supporting individuals, by strengthening our communities, and by leading the way towards legal and lived equality. We operate with 12 staff, and a large pool of volunteers.
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the Coast Salish territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups including trans and non-binary folk, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities.
QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their breadth and depth of skills gained through these, and other, areas of community work.
In recognition of structural and systemic barriers to education and employment, we will work with applicants where possible to address gaps in education and/or experience; professional development funding is available on an annual basis.
- Pride Engagements & Coordination (45%)
- Liaise with community partners and regional Pride Societies to create a list of virtual and in-person events for the Summer 2021 Pride Season
- Recruit a small team of Pride and Summer Outreach Volunteers; provide training and orientation and on-going support, scheduling and feedback
- Attend virtual and in-person Pride events, including some light set-up and tear down; engage with event attendees by answering questions about QMUNITY and the services and programs we offer
- Information & Referral Services (35%)
- In collaboration with the Volunteer Coordinator, identify and draft volunteer resources, including manuals and referral/directory listings of LGBTQ2SAI+ affirming social services and health care professionals
- Assist in the training and onboarding of IRS volunteers
- Research and draft entries for our Queer Directory
- Staff the Information & Referrals Desk as needed (approximately 1-2 days/week)
- Team Engagement & Support (20%)
- Participation in staff and team meetings, retreats and planning sessions, including strategic and operational plans
- Manage, train, supervise and schedule volunteers and interns within portfolio
- Actively promote and participate in fundraising activities and income generating activities
- Monthly reporting and other documentation and record keeping as needed
- Perform other duties, as required.
The following qualifications are required by the Canada Summer Jobs Program:
● Registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
● A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
● A valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Qualifications required by QMUNITY:
● Priority will be given to folks with lived queer, trans, and/or Two Spirit experiences.
● Completion of a Criminal Record Check.
● Strong knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks.
● Passionate about creating safer spaces for LGBTQ2SAI+ folks.
● Experience coordinating and leading a team of volunteers
● An understanding of and appreciation for QMUNITY’s mission to improve queer, trans, and Two-Spirit lives through support, connection, and leadership.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● A valid BC Driver’s Licence is strongly preferred
Hours of Work: This position is full-time (35 hrs/week). Please note that this position may require some evening and weekend work. Self-scheduling throughout the work week is common practice. Weekend work will be required; hours are adjusted in the work week to accommodate any weekend hours worked.
Accessibility: QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office.
COVID-19: QMUNITY has developed COVID-19 Safety Plans. Our offices are closed to the public, with an anticipated reopening in Summer 2021. Please note that our organization has been deemed an essential service, and we will require the successful candidate to regularly work from our office. Our Occupational Health & Safety Committee continues to monitor on-going developments and makes recommendations based on public health guidance.
Start date: June 7th, 2021
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Pride & Outreach Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is Wednesday, May 19th at 11:59 PM.