QMUNITY Counselling Program: Reduced-Cost Counselling Job Description
QMUNITY operates on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories across British Columbia, the main of which is located on the Coast Salish lands of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səlil̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Purpose: QMUNITY’s fee-for-service program serves the needs of BC’s 2SLGBTQAI+ communities. We aim to provide folks with counselling services who are unable to afford the full cost of counselling.
Accountability: Counsellors practice accountability through attending bi-weekly check-ins with fellow counsellors and a clinical counsellor. Additionally, counsellors are expected to provide monthly reports to QMUNITY staff which may include details such as number of clients, frequency of sessions and fee negotiations. Counsellors are also expected to maintain contact with their clinical supervisor to ensure ethical and good practices. Moreover, all counsellors are expected to undergo a criminal record check.
The Organization: QMUNITY is BC’s 2SLGBTQAI+ community hub and exists to improve queer and gender-diverse lives. We do this in three ways: in supporting individuals, in strengthening our communities, and in advocating for legal and outcome equity. We are a team of 13 staff and a very large volunteer base.
Diversity: QMUNITY is committed to employment equity and prioritizes applications from underrepresented groups. Black, Indigenous, people of colour, trans people and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. QMUNITY values the experiences and skill sets gained through non-traditional employment, including unpaid and emotional labour, community organizing and mutual aid. Applicants are encouraged to highlight their breadth and depth of skills gained through these, and other, areas of community work.
Accessibility: Please note QMUNITY’s main office space is located on the second level of the building. Applicants should be aware that there is a flight of 23 stairs to reach the office, without access to elevator, lift or ramp. During the COVID-19 pandemic, QMUNITY’s counselling services are being provided exclusively via PIPA-compliant video platforms.
The Counselling Program: Our reduced-cost program has been a QMUNITY service since the early 2000s and consists of registered counsellors offering low-cost counselling sessions (up to 10 per client). Clients are very often seeking counsellors with lived queer and gender-diverse experience. It is also common for clients to be interested in seeing a counsellor who has professional experience in areas related to trauma, substance abuse, mental health and/or relationships. Fee-for-service counselling uses a sliding scale ranging from $60-$120 per session for individual counselling and $80-$160 per session for couples and families. The rate may vary per client depending on a host of factors including income.
● Master’s degree in Counselling, Counselling Psychology, Social Work or Art Therapy.
● Registered as an RCC, RSW, or CCC and in good standing.
● Provide virtual counselling services using a platform that is compliant with PIPA and counsellors’ professional regulatory bodies/associations.
● Experience in 2SLGBTQAI+ related challenges
● Criminal Record Check, which must be completed and on file prior to seeing any clients at QMUNITY
● Professional liability insurance
● Access to clinical supervision outside of QMUNITY
● To follow all policies and procedures of the organization, including all protocols as outlined in the Counselling Program Handbook
● The ability to handle confidential/sensitive information appropriately
● Commitment to a high standard of service and an atmosphere of respect and dignity in all aspects of the program
● Attendance at a Queer Competency Training delivered by QMUNITY’s Education & Training Team
*Having a previous connection with QMUNITY, or having experience in a queer resource centre, is a strong asset but not required.
Hours of Work: Counsellors are expected to maintain a minimum caseload of 8 clients at a time.
How to apply:
● Interested counsellors may email [email protected] with a CV and cover letter. Please include some information about your relationship to QMUNITY, the 2SLGBTQAI+ community, and availability.
● If we think you would be a good match for our program, you will be invited for an interview.
● Based on your interview, if we decide to proceed, we will move forward with the onboarding process.
The fee-for-service counselling program at QMUNITY is a low-cost, virtual model intended to make counselling more accessible to queer and gender-diverse folks province-wide. It functions by contracting independent counsellors, understanding their client load capacity, and setting them with clients from our waitlist accordingly. The expectation is that they will charge between $60-$160 per session (for up to 10 sessions) depending on the client’s financial situation. A percentage (25%) of the counsellor’s earnings will be owed to QMUNITY.