QueerSmart Proofreader Job Description
Estimated start date: April 2021
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
The QueerSmart Newsletter is a quarterly e-zine letter launched by QMUNITY in August 2020. It comprises educational materials, resources, videos, articles, with a focus on enhancing inclusive practices, tips, and resources for culturally safe programs and service delivery.
With content created of submissions by community members, volunteers will be proofreading the copy of each submission. The QueerSmart Newsletter is currently only offered in English.
Hours: Work is done remotely (from home) on an as-needed basis. Hours are flexible and will vary from month to month.
- Review submissions for errors (spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, usage, etc.)
- Rephrase written text to ensure document structure and content are consistent
- Crosscheck references and data
- Ensure submissions are ready within set time constraints.
- Assist the Education Specialist in curating articles for the zine
- Participate in QueerSmart planning meetings once a year
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers should have:
- Demonstrable strong writing and editing skills
- Attention to details, able to identify and rephrase grammatical errors to ensure an error-free text
- Ability to work within the style of the author and publisher, without personal bias
- Computer proficiency, especially using Google docs
- Knowledge of anti-oppressive frameworks and inclusive language
- Experience working or volunteering within 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Preference will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
This role will be supported by QMUNITY’s Education Specialist.
How to apply:
Please apply using our online Volunteer Application.