Transgathering Peer Group Facilitator Job Description
QMUNITY is BC’s Queer, Trans and Two-Spirit Resource Centre which exists to improve queer, trans and Two-Spirit lives. QMUNITY operates on the occupied, ancestral and unceded territories of Indigenous people across British Columbia. In particular, QMUNITY offices are located on the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
QMUNITY’s Peer Groups Program supports community members in running peer-led groups that enhance the wellness of the LGBTQ2SAI+ community. Peer Groups are organized by volunteer Facilitators. Facilitators have lived experience with the identity and/or subject matter of the group. They are responsible for creating and maintaining a safe and inclusive (online) space in accordance with QMUNITY guidelines. The Q office is currently closed to the public due to COVID restrictions; all Peer Groups are currently running online over Zoom.
Our Transgathering Peer Group is currently looking for Facilitators to join the team! Our team currently works cohesively to support 3 groups that are running under the “Transgathering” umbrella. All 3 groups are for folks who are 18+ and living in BC. Our hope is that the facilitator who is chosen to join our team would be comfortable/willing to help lead discussion in all 3 groups on a rotating basis (lead roughly 1 group per month).
Transgathering is a drop-in, peer led space for all trans, gender variant, and gender exploring folks to connect, share, discuss, and learn from each other in a supportive environment. It operates on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Tuesday of the month on Zoom from 6-8 pm.
Transgathering: Medical is a safe space for trans and gender diverse folks to discuss medical transition, including surgery, hormones, hair removal, etc. The space is intended for folks who want to share and ask for resources or experiences. It operates on the 4th Tuesday of the month on Zoom from 6-8 pm.
Trans + Loved Ones is a safe space for folks of any gender identity who have a trans or gender diverse individual in their life. It is a safe space for trans identified folks and their loved ones to share and speak about their experiences, and navigate their feelings while supporting each other. This group runs on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 6 to 8 pm on Zoom.
Hours: Facilitators are expected to commit to one to two 120 -minute meetings per month. Groups are on Tuesdays from 6-8 pm PST on Zoom. Facilitators will be added to a shared Slack channel and are expected to stay in communication with the team regarding scheduling, and may need to participate in occasional meetings or discussions outside of regular group time.
- Host a welcoming, inclusive space for folx to connect, that aligns with QMUNITY’s Code of Respect and values (celebration, intersectionality & anti-oppression)
- Facilitate discussions
- Provide peer support and mediate conflicts between participants
- Schedule and facilitate online meetings via Zoom
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Coordinator and QMUNITY Peer Group Facilitators team to evaluate and develop the Groups program (monthly/annual reporting, meetings)
This is an unpaid volunteering position; volunteers must have/be:
- 18 years of age or over
- Knowledge of intersectional anti-oppressive frameworks
- Experience with group facilitation, social work or other skill sets related to peer support
- Lived experience within the trans, two-spirit, gender-diverse, or nonbinary community that is served
- Computer proficiency, especially using Zoom
- Able to commit to 4 hours of volunteer work per month minimum
QMUNITY volunteers are put in a position of trust and responsibility with our community members, clients and youth. We conduct Vulnerable Sector Checks for all our volunteers, in accordance with Public Safety Canada’s best practices.
Peers are able to uplift each other in unique ways – we strongly prefer our volunteers to identify as part of the trans community. Preference will be given to people of all marginalized genders, Indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
- Experience working in an established local non-profit.
- Inclusion in QMUNITY volunteer team events and professional development.
- Potential for letters of recommendation and references.
The Peer Groups Program is supported by QMUNITY’s Volunteer Coordinator.
How to apply:
Please contact the Transgathering Facilitators at [email protected] with expressions of interest. Cover letters and resumes are appreciated, but not required.