International Transgender Day of Visibility is an event that happens annually on March 31st. The day is dedicated to celebrating the Trans community, raising awareness of the barriers they face, and advocating for their rights.
QMUNITY is inviting you to take a stand in support of transgender folks living in BC and go beyond just visibility by participating in a province-wide advocacy campaign entitled #YouBelongHere.
1. Participate in the #YouBelongHere social media campaign
2. Go “Beyond Visibility”: Download resources to adopt gender-neutral washrooms
3. Visit our merch store to support 2SLGBTQIA+ programs
#YouBelongHere: Join the social media movement
QMUNITY invites you to participate in a province-wide social media and advocacy campaign entitled #YouBelongHere. The goal of the campaign is to take-over the social media feeds of everyone living in BC to show that we stand alongside our trans community, and that we are committed to protecting trans voices everywhere we can.
Here’s how you can join the campaign in 4 easy steps:
1. Download and print, or come in to our office to pose for a picture holding one of our statements of support
You can print the posters by clicking here and downloading them. If you’d like to snap a picture holding one of our large signs, you can drop by our office anytime before or on March 31st.
2. Take a photo holding up a statement of support
People are what drive real change in the world. By taking a photo of you and/or your team holding up signs of support, you are showing your commitment to supporting the trans community.
3. Post your photo on social media on March 31st
We encourage you to post it using the hashtag #YouBelongHere:
“Today is International Transgender Day of Visibility. Today, and every day, we stand in support of trans people across BC. We acknowledge the many systemic struggles and barriers they face and are committed to creating safer spaces for everyone within the 2SLGBTQIA+ community to thrive, regardless of gender identity. #YouBelongHere”
4. Turn your words into action
There are multiple ways you can turn your statement into action.
- Contact your local representatives to ask what they’re doing to support the trans community every day of the year.
- Consider making a donation to local organizations that provide ongoing support, programs, and services to the trans community. This may include mental health services, as well as peer-to-peer and legal support.
- Ask the people in your network to join the #YouBelongHere campaign as well. Seeing you show support and participate in this campaign can help create waves in your local community, be sure to tag @QMUNITY and use the #YouBelongHere hashtag so we can make an impact on March 31.
Going Beyond Visibility: A simple guide for adopting gender-neutral, universal washrooms.
When nature calls, it doesn’t differentiate based on gender – neither should washrooms. QMUNITY has developed a free, simple toolkit for organizations and businesses with some recommendations for how to adopt gender-neutral washrooms, and create safer spaces for all trans, non-binary, and gender diverse people to feel seen, safe, and welcome in your space.
Quick steps to take:
1. Change the door sign to be gender-neutral:
The best practice is to remove gender from the equation altogether by simply showing what indemnities are inside – stalls, urinals, or both.
2. Hang visual indicators within your washrooms:
Affirming that washrooms are inclusive to all within the space can go a long way in validating someone’s presence, while also offering the opportunity for education to everyone.
3. Encourage the use of pronoun pins amongst your staff:
Wearing pronoun pins and/or stickers is a sign of acceptance and solidarity to the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and makes space for everyone to safely acknowledge each other’s gender identity.
4. Gaining a better understanding of language, history, and lived experience:
QMUNITY’s Education Program offers a range of options to ensure you, your leadership, and entire staff are equipped with the language and knowledge to help create safer spaces for 2SLGBTQIA+ communities.
Thank you for participating in this year’s International Trans Day of Visibility campaign. The support of community members, businesses, and organizations like yours has the power to create real change in the world.
If you or anyone you know would like to learn more about QMUNITY and the work we do in support of the trans community, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com or by phone at 604-684-5307.